- Please contact OCLC Support before creating a collection for a Non-MARC Patterned bibliographic data collection.
Note: There is a fee associated with building records for a Non-MARC Patterned bibliographic data collection.
- When entering text into text fields (e.g., Comment, Description, etc.):
- Do not add new lines. All text needs to be in one paragraph.
- Do not copy and paste text from Microsoft Word, email, a web browser, or other sources. Pasted text can contain hidden formatting codes.
- You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.
- If you have questions while creating your collection, you can:
Create the collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Click Create a Collection.
- Select Data Sync Collection from the Collection Type drop-down list.
- Select Bibliographic from the Data Sync Type drop-down list.
If you have already created a WorldCat Data Synchronization collection with the secondary collection type, the following warning appears:
An existing WorldCat Data Synchronization collection of this same type already exists. We recommend editing this existing collection; however, you can create a secondary collection type of the same type.
Generally, you will configure one collection for each type of data to be sent, making it easier to manage the process and maintain up-to-date holdings in WorldCat.
- Click Create. The accordions for this collection appear.
Complete the Properties accordion
The Properties accordion must be completed before you can save your progress when creating a collection.
- Enter a Collection Name for your collection.
- Enter the Third Party/Consortia Name if a vendor is sending data for your library or your library is part of a consortia.
- Select Non-MARC for the Original Data Format.
- Select No for Numeric Search Keys for Holdings Maintenance Only.
You must send a .CSV file encoded as UTF-8. Please see data requirements.
- (Optional). Enter a Description for the collection.
Complete the Bibliographic Record Information accordion
- Click Bibliographic Record Information to open the accordion.
- For Initial Estimate for Record Count, enter the number of records that will be sent in the first file.
Complete the System tab
- Enter the Provider.
- Enter the System Name.
- Enter the Version.
Complete the Processing tab
- Select whether to Limit Added Records to WorldCat Staging.
WorldCat Staging is a temporary area where unresolved records or original cataloging records are sent.
Unresolved records may contain data errors, validation errors, and/or they do not meet OCLC's standards of quality and completeness (sparse records). Due to errors or lack of quality, these records cannot be adequately matched against WorldCat records, and are therefore sent to WorldCat Staging so they can be further reviewed if desired.
Original cataloging records can also be sent to WorldCat Staging for further review if desired, even if they meet OCLC's standards of quality and completeness. You may opt for this within the Processing tab of the data sync collection (see Available options for original cataloging below).
All records sent to WorldCat Staging, whether unresolved or original cataloging, are not fully indexed in WorldCat. Instead, these records are assigned provisional OCLC record numbers as their only access points for retrieval. These OCLC record numbers are listed in the Unresolved Cross Reference file created after the data is processed.
Available options for original cataloging:
- If Yes is selected, original cataloging records are sent to this temporary location (WorldCat Staging) and are assigned provisional OCLC numbers. Use this response if you DO NOT want to add original cataloging records to WorldCat. Consult with your Database Specialist if you have questions about this option.
- If No is selected, original cataloging records ARE added to WorldCat and are fully indexed; however, these records must meet OCLC's standards of quality and completeness. Original cataloging records that do not meet OCLC's standards of quality and completeness will be sent to WorldCat Staging.
- Select whether to Use Language of Cataloging (040 $b) Field from Records.
- If Yes, the language of cataloging indicated by the three-character language code in the 040 $b of your records is retained for use. When no value is found, then English (eng) is assumed.
- If your records do not contain a value in the 040 $b and/or your records are cataloged in a language other than English, select No and select the language of cataloging from the Default Language of Cataloging.
- If applicable, enter the location (Tag, Subfield, or Indicator) and the value that appears in that location to identify records or fields to exclude from processing in the Excluded Information field.
- When excluded information is encountered in the Fixed Field, the entire record will be excluded from setting/cancelling holdings and added to WorldCat staging.
- When excluded information is encountered in Variable Fields, you can choose to exclude the record or only the field by selecting the corresponding Action.
- Click Save.
Complete the Local Bibliographic Data Information accordion
Local bibliographic data (LBD) allows you to add fields that are unique to your institution and records. Data sync processing also creates LBD with your local system number (LSN) so that records can be output via Collection Manager.
- Local bibliographic data fields supported
2XX 5XX 6XX 7XX 240 500 600 700 501 610 710 590 611 711 591 630 730 592 647 790 593 650 791 594 651 792 595 655 793 596 690 796 597 691 797 598 695 798 599 696 799 697 698 699
- Click Local Bibliographic Data Information to open the accordion.
- Identify which LBD fields need to be retained and the corresponding source locations on your system in the Retained LBD Fields expandable tables. If you have any questions about identifying LBD fields to retain, contact OCLC Support.
- Click Save.
Complete the MARC Record Output Information accordion
- Click MARC Record Output Information to open the accordion.
- Select Yes for Enable MARC record delivery.
- Click Institution Settings in the left navigation.
- Click OCLC Symbol to open the accordion.
- Select your OCLC symbol if it is available in the interface but is not selected.
If your OCLC symbol is not available in the interface, follow the instructions to edit your information in the WorldCat registry.
- Click Save.
Note: Non-MARC patterned bibliographic data collections allow delivery of WorldCat records only.
Complete the Comments accordion
The comments accordion allows you to communicate with the database specialist assigned to your data sync collection. It appears after you save your collection for the first time. Database specialists can also communicate with you about your collection.
You would only complete the Comments accordion while creating a collection if you have a question or need to convey information not addressed in the collection.
Click Comments to open the accordion.
Add a comment to the list
- Click Add Comment. The Add Comment window opens.
- Enter a Topic for your comment.
- Enter a Comment about your collection.
- Click Add Comment to save your comment to the list. An OCLC staff member will respond to your comment in the Comments accordion, using the same Topic. Check the Comments accordion after 24-48 hours, as you will not receive an email when a staff member responds.
Once you have added your comment to the list, it cannot be edited or deleted.
View a comment in the list
- Click the Topic of the comment you wish to view.
- Click Cancel to return to the comment list.
Complete the Contact Information accordion
The information entered in the Contact Information accordion is required so that OCLC staff can contact you with questions about your collection. You must add a contact before your collection can be submitted.
- Click Contact Information to open the accordion.
- Enter the contact's Last Name.
- Enter the contact's First Name.
- Enter the contact's Title.
- Enter the contact's Telephone number and Email Address.
- Click Save.
When adding multiple contacts, use the Add button () to create additional rows. List contacts in order of priority.
Submit your collection
- Select Submit Collection to OCLC from the Collection Actions drop-down menu.
You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.