Choose your Collection Manager workflow
Find information about the available collection types in WorldShare Collection Manager and learn how to create a collection.
Choose how you will use Collection Manager
Collection Manager: What it is and how libraries use itLearn more in a training course:
- Knowledge base collections
- Manage your electronic resources and automatically maintain WorldCat holdings. Use your collection data with other OCLC services, display full-text links, and get WorldCat records.
- Query collections
- Improve local catalog quality with a set of WorldCat MARC records. Create a query collection for electronic and print serials, new titles added with CONTENTdm, or to create a spreadsheet of your WorldCat holdings.
- Cataloging partner collections
- Get new print materials into circulation quickly. Ask your provider to send OCLC your electronic order information. Create a cataloging partner collection to set WorldCat holdings and get book spine labels and WorldCat MARC records that include your provider data.
- Data sync collections
- Synchronize your catalog with WorldCat. Create a data sync collection to maintain your holdings, local bibliographic data, and local holdings records in WorldCat. Match brief records in your local system to current WorldCat records to get a more complete representation of your holdings.
- WorldCat updates
- Keep your WorldCat MARC records up-to-date. Enable WorldCat updates to automatically receive updated MARC records for your holdings in WorldCat as WorldCat records are enhanced.
- Use Collection Manager with or without a CatExpress subscription
- Collection Manager is part of the value of your OCLC Cataloging and Metadata Subscription or your CatExpress subscription. Libraries without a cataloging subscription can get records for collections from selective providers.
- Use Collection Manager for content from a specific provider
- If your interest in content from a specific provider has lead you to Collection Manager, see a list of providers and provider-specific workflows. The instructions will guide you to get WorldCat records, holdings, and/or full-text links for content from your providers.
Unsure of which workflow you need?
|I ...||Use a ...|
|Need to register my shared print retention commitments as an agent/group coordinator||Shared print collection profile|
|Need to register my shared print retention commitments for individual non-WMS libraries||Shared print collection profile|
|Need to register my shared print retention commitments for individual WMS libraries||Shared print collection profile|
|Need to synchronize my holdings in WorldCat with my local catalog||Data sync collection|
|Need to synchronize or update my holdings in WorldCat with my local catalog using a third-party provider or consortial partner/head.||Data sync collection|
|Need to synchronize or update holdings in WorldCat for a library's local catalog on behalf of a library||Data sync collection|
|Need to update my current holdings in WorldCat||Data sync collection|
|Purchased an ebook/ejournal package and I need MARC records||Knowledge base collection|
|Purchased an ebook/ejournal package and I want to set my holdings in WorldCat||Knowledge base collection|
|Receive shelf-ready titles from my vendor and I want to set holdings for those materials in WorldCat (and/or receive MARC records)||Cataloging partner collection|
|Want OCLC MARC records for my holdings||Query collection|
|Want to automatically receive updated records when the cooperative enriches records in WorldCat||WorldCat updates|
|Want to receive a file of MARC records based on a search query that I performed in WorldCat||Query collection|
|Work with a vendor that says I can get an automated holdings feed from Collection Manager||Knowledge base collection|
|Work with a vendor that says I can get MARC records and spine label files from WorldShare Collection Manager||Cataloging partner collection|