Discover how to perform a number search when searching WorldCat indexes.
Any number that is part of a record's bibliographic information that you can use to retrieve the records you need. The system finds the number in an indexed field.
Index label format
xx: (where x represents an alphanumeric character)
- Dewey Class Number — dd:616
- LC Class Number — lc:z5074.g8
- Most efficient way to search for these types of numbers:
- A number search can retrieve a single record (e.g., by its unique ISBN) or precisely related records (e.g., by class number). Numbers are usually unique to a single record or group of related records.
- Type all numbers and letters.
- Omit spaces.
- Omit punctuation, except keep periods (.) in classification numbers.
- When entering ISBNs ending in x — If you use the number keypad, truncate the number using the asterisk key (*).